Friday, September 23, 2011

What is a good Chassis for a rat rod with a 542 chevy big block?

Im planning on building a rat rod with a 542 Chevy big block and don't know what chassis I should use.|||The S10 truck frames are used in alot of projects like this as it lends it's self well to mods, easy to fab, will fit a v8, and has a good front suspension design. Also alot of parts already made that will fit the S10 frames like drop kits, rear suspension kits, air ride kits, ford 9" rear ends, etc|||If you want to go max (sounds like you might) you need a tubular chassis, or at least a tubular sub-frame. These are made for most body styles - I like Jegs. ARP is another quality manufacturer. You also need ladder bars or a four link to hook up your rear tires (transfer weight properly). I suggest ladder bars for street - four links are too touchy to set-up.



I like the intermediate size because I am 6'6". I've had two '66 Chevelle SS396s. One factory new and pretty modified (dropped in a 435 hp 427 crate motor) - one extremely modded, including a full Jegs chassis. BTW: I opted for a jig-welded front end - I suggest you do the same. Saves a lot of weight and functions better, especially with the tubular chassis.



A Chevy II/Nova or Camaro are other good choices if you want to stay Chevy and are not Sasquatch tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment