Thursday, September 15, 2011

How or what do I do to swap out a chevy 235 to a chevy small block?

I have a 1951 Chevrolet business coupe that had a 216 but we took it out and put a 1957 Chevrolet truck 235 in it. That engines lower bearrings went out. I'm wandering and pondering on swaping it out to a chevy small block. I'm needing to know how much fabercation I will need to do or how or what sizes may or will bolt right in. Also wandering about my solid drive shaft I've heard I need to swap out the rear end also to do this. Does any one know what rear ends will fit under my coupe.|||In your 51 Chevrolet business coupe you have an enclosed (solid) drive shaft so yes you will have to swap out the rear end (at least thats the easiest). A common thing done to these cars was to get a donor car i.e. Chevy Nova, Camaro...etc and then do what is called "subframing it" This is where you cut the front frame rails and suspension off both cars and then put the later model one on. This will give you your small block motor mounts and update your front suspension too. The rear ends out of the donor cars can usually be used also.


Now if you have never subframed a car it will take patients and some skill at welding. You have to measure properly 3 or 4 times then cut with a torch or sawzall and then weld the newer frame to the older. Wich is usually difficult to do for a novice welder.





If you want to keep your frame rails and not do a subframe, then I would recommend going with a Mustang 2 bolt on front suspension and then having someone weld in some Engine mounts to a small block. You will still have to find a donor rearend which out of a camaro/nova or even possibly a late 70's to 80's chevy full size truck.


hope this helps and good luck with your project.

No comments:

Post a Comment