Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's the difference between the Chevy Cobalt SS and the Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged?

I was wondering what the difference is in the body style of the Chevy Cobalt SS and the Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged. I know that one's supercharged and puts out a little more power, but like I said, I was wondering if there was any difference in the body. I was looking to purchase a Cobalt SS Supercharged, but I can't find any for a price in my budget, so I was thinking about purchasing a Cobalt SS and just putting my own supercharger in.|||wont' work.......the supercharged version has different motor internals...|||What's wrong with you people? The answer that you voted "best" was awful. That's not true at all. The poor guy that posted the other answer here is actually spot on.

Report Abuse


|||It most certainly WILL work to install a 'charger on a non-charged Ecotec, although it is not a "budget friendly" decision - it'll likely cost you more to purchase not only the charger, but the intercooler, piping, blowoff valving, ECM programming - the works - and put it on a straight Eco. That work is going to likely cost 3000, even if you shop frugally.





Oh - I didn't mention my source - there's a great build-up of a 2.4 Ecotec in an article I read that dropped a Magnesun supercharger and associated plumbing, and made over 300 hp off of the stock internals. The block is strong enough, but it requires a custom tune and some finagling. Wish I could tell you the specific reference but my magazine is long gone in the recycling bin.





Other than that, Body wise, there's not much significantly different, and even there, you can upgrade the non-super Cobalt with suitable aftermarket bits as well.





You do know that you're probably hurting a lot of SS/SC guys out there by saying it puts out "a little more power" - how about "a LOT more power"!





Try looking around for a Saturn Ion Redline as well - they have the potent engine, and are on the sister to the Cobalt, platform wise. You may stumble across a budget friendly car by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment